Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Hung up on you: the closet challenge

The weather in Montreal reached 12˚C during the weekend and I spent most of it on our condo's balcony sipping wine & enjoying fancy cheeses with my Eye Candy. We were wearing jackets and scarfs, but at least we were able to enjoy some sunshine and rock the sunglasses.

Perhaps it was a little optimistic, but I also took the opportunity to change over my closets. Yes, I am one of those girls who has too many clothes to fit in just one closet and with each season, I switch over my attire. (Please note that purging is a favourite activity of mine and in the 2.5 years that my Eye Candy & I have been together, I have reduced my required closet space from 3 to 1.5 double-doored closets which is miraculous. It also corresponds with my transition from single girl in her own apartment to coupledome in the condo so a portion of the purging can be explained by a space issue.) As I was taking down my winter-esque clothes, I did separate out the clothes that I did not wear over the last several months. A few items were tossed into the laundry room for minor repairs, a few sweaters are on their way to my Mum's closet (!), and another pile is set to be donated.

Once I had taken out my spring & summer clothes, washed them, ironed them, and got ready to hang them up, I decided that this is the year that I really monitor what I wear.

Introducing my closet challenge...

For each item of clothing that went up in my closet, I turned the hook around. As I wear each item, I will turn it's hanger back around. Over the next few months, I'll be able to see clearly what items I am not wearing and hopefully, be inspired to put together new options.

At the end of the summer, I plan to go through my closet with either my Eye Candy or a favourite fashionista who will referree the process: if I did not wear said item at all, it will be donated. Should I want to keep the unworn item, I'll be donating $5 for each piece to a favourite charity. I'm open to suggestions for causes so please give me ideas and I'm hoping some of my readers will also get 'hung up' on this idea & join me too!

*Rosie*

2 comments:

  1. friend fashionista? Can that be me??? I love closet cleaning! donate!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mais oui! I was going to link "favorite" to your blog or FHTS, and then "fashionista" to the other blog. Or vice versa... But I couldnt make up my mind on who would get what word and I didn't want to get into any trouble! lol
    So you're both invited for a post-Labour Day shin dig in my closet. No wine until after the donations are done.

    ReplyDelete